Thaksin University
THAKSIN UNIVERSITY
 ไทย    English
 About Us  
History
Philosophy/Vision/Mission
ORGANIZATION CHART
Symbols
Core values
Organizations
Administrators
  History  
 
Thaksin University from Past to Future

        Thaksin University is one of the first higher education institute in the south of Thailand, which was originally called the College of Education initiated by the Ministry of Education. This college replaced the High Teacher Training at Prasarnmitra Road, Phrakhanong District, Phranakorn in 1954. It was established under the goals to develop philosophy and modern educational concepts in association with a democratic society, including the in-depth development of education as a systematic career respectively to provide a degree in education. The College of Education has gradually developed along with the educational extension in the different regions all over the country. The regional administrations included Phrathumwon Campus (1955), Bangsaen Campus in Chonburi (1955), Pitsanulok Campus (1967), Mahasrakam Campus (1968), Songkhla Campus (1968), Phranakorn Campus (1969) and Physical Education Campus (1970) with Phasarnmitra Campus as the administrative center.

  


        The College of Education, Songkhla Campus was officially established on October 11, 1968 at Kaoroopchang Sub-district, Muang District, Songkhla Province where Thaksin University’s Songkhla Campus is now located. According to the resolutions of the Councils of College of Education responsible for expanding higher education level to the southern area of Thailand. The 1st of October, 1968 becomes the foundation day of Thaksin University.

 

 

        College of Education, Songkhla Campus first operated in 1969 with a 2-year educational degree program and in 1974 a 4-year educational degree program was launched and continues until present. In the same year, the College of Education was promoted and renamed as Srinakharinwirot University under the Ministry of University Affairs. College of Education, Songkhla Campus became a part of Srinakharinwirot University under the name of Srinakharinwirot University, Songkhla Campus.

        From 1989 to 1990, Srinakharinwirot University, Songkhla Campus planned an extension in Pattalung Province because the area at Kaoroopchang sub-district was quite limited and deemed inadequate for the new coming faculties and working staff in the future. According to the Cabinet resolution on May 29, 1990, the principles of extension the university in the Pattalung area was approved and proposed in the Educational Development Plan of Higher Education, Issue 7 (1992-1996). On October 20, 1992,University Council resolved to change the name of Srinakharinwirot University, Songkhla Campus to Srinakharinwirot University, Southern Campus, thus placing the focus of the university mission on the entire southern area and no longer specific to any one province.

 

   

        On November 1, 1995 Srinakharinwirot University, Southern Campus was renamed as Thaksin University and is considered as equal to a juristic person as a department in Ministry of University Affairs. In accordance with the Thaksin University Act of 1996, Thaksin University has continually developed. In 2004, a branch campus of Thaksin University was officially opened in Banpraow Sub-district, Papayom district, Pattalung Province. Since then, the Thaksin University Council passed a resolution to administer the university as 2 campuses: Songkhla Campus at Aosai; Ko Yor Sub-district, where the Southern Studies Institute is located, together with Kaoroopchang Sub-district, Muang District, and the newer Pattalung Campus including Panangtung sub-district, Kuankanoon and Ban Phraow; Papayom District, Pattalung Province.

 
        Since February 6, 2008 Thaksin University, while still under state control, has been developed as an autonomous university by independent managerial administration, allowing the practical handling of higher education while maintaining quality and efficiency. According to Thaksin University Act 2008, the university follows the philosophy of “Intelligence and Ethics guide Development”.

 

        

Thaksin University 140, Moo 4 , Tambon Khoa-Roob-Chang , Muang Songkhla 90000  Tel. +66 -7431-7600  E-mail : tsu_direct@scholar.tsu.ac.th ipv6 ready